View Single Post
Old 04-24-2021, 06:51 AM   #28
SAJ

Default Re: Max Speed of a Model A with 26% OD and HC Head

Larry, my electronic balancer is just an old Italian Corghi. Nothing special. It has the usual cone mountings which are no good for a Model A, plus adjustable 4 and 5 stud mountings for the different wheels and a double cone for knock-off while wheels.
There were 130 Model A's at our rally last week. About 10 cars from America could not come or could the Australians. I am guessing there are 400 or so running Model As in NZ and many more hidden on farms and in sheds. Someone else from here may like to correct that.
I may have made my wheel balancing sound more clever than it really is. The main problem is tyre fitters these days don't want to dismount the cones they use on all moden wheels to put on the adjustable stud mountings for older cars.
This means they remove the Model A hubcaps to mount with cones through the centre holes. And I have heard it said these pressed holes do not always mount accurately like those in modern cast alloy wheels do.
I have 2 Jaguars, a 1952 Riley, a 1953 Alvis and 2 Model A's. the English cars are all 100 mph saloons so wheel balancing is critical and tyre companies will not take the time to do any of them properly.
SAJ in NZ
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote