View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 05:22 AM   #21
KULTULZ

Question Re: '54 / '55 Fordomatic ID ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

My biggest concern is why it seems to only have two functioning forward gears instead of three with a 2nd gear start as I've been told it 'should' be. I asked the transmission shop that did the rebuild the same question and they told me it's really just a 2 speed. So where did the other gear go???

Shifting manually or driving it has two forward speeds and shifts only once. I initially thought the shifter might be out of position relative to the transmission and it may not reach the actual Lo gear position (since starting up from a stop seems a bit sluggish and at times squeals and shakes the car) but it lines up with the P R N D L letters just fine. I'll double check that adjustment too.
The FORD-O-MATIC is a 3S SINGLE RANGE TRANS with a 2nd gear start, If you want a 1st gear start, you have to put the selector in L or floor the throttle at take-off.

Small Case is a FORD-O-MATIC. Mid-Case is a MERC-O-MATIC designed for the heavier MERC and FORD performance applications of the period.

The CRUISE-O-MATIC/MERC-O-MATIC was introduced in 1958 whereas it was a DUAL RANGE, normally starting in 1st although the driver could choose a second gear start,

The ONLY 2-SPEED TRANS (FM/2)was introduced in 1959 for economy applications and was replaced by the C4.

I cannot understand on this late date how the confusion continues.

We should have a contest. The player has to start at the very last post of a thread & then try to guess what the OP's original question was about ...
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote