View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #65
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Is There An Electrician In The House?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
There is a lot of confusion here. Bad connections will not trigger high voltage output from the generator. Blowing light bulbs comes only from one cause, voltage too high. The third brush increases the charging output but you can't separate the voltage from the amperage. The only explanation is the the field is shorted internally, delivering full battery voltage to the field, triggering an ouput that is off the charts. You need new field coils or a new generator. Temporarily swap in another gen from someone else's car and watch the problem disappear.
Bad connections sure will trigger HIGH voltage. The Model A generator is unregulated and can put out up to 40 volts if it doesn't have a good connection to the 6 volt battery. This is why at least 3 of us make an electronic voltage regulator for the Model A's. Mine fits inside the generator where the adjustable brush normally fits. This keeps the output voltage regulated to a safe level.

With over 2 volts dropped in the battery cable with only 4 amps flowing, I'd suspect a poor connection. Give the cable a good tug and see if it is loose at the terminal. I've seen two cables that pulled right out of the heavy lead terminal. With the starter engaged the cable will be flowing at least 100 amps, and even with that heavy current flow it still should come nowhere close to a 2 volt drop.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 09-26-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote