View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 06:05 PM   #58
rotorwrench

Default Re: Fordomatic late shifting ('57 thunderbird)

I'm more used to the old ones but something doesn't look right there. The book I have for the old Merc-O-Matic shows that their are the two valves there in that same bore. The one on the throttle control shaft side is the kick-down valve and it pushes the throttle valve through a straight coil spring on that side. There is a tool to bend that stop but I don't think that is the problem. On the other side where the throttle valve protrudes out, I'm used to seeing a leaf spring on the plate there. The plate that I'm used to actually has a leaf spring that controls how far the throttle valve can protrude there but also limits it on how far it can go back in the bore. Yours not only doesn't have the leaf spring but it is stopping the valve from moving farther out. Something has to be there the keep it from moving out too far and it appears to be missing that spring. Take a good look at the photos of the other valve body and you will see the leaf spring there. The valve should protrude beyond that plate and make contact with the spring.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote