View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #24
thebanjoman

Default Re: media blasting - special considerations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
The standard metal tube poked into the sand is useless.

I should make a better vid one day.

I was blasting behind my hand to stop the cam lens being peppered, so it obscured the vision.

And i should demonstrate a a bit better that the sand only pools out of bottle to a set "puddle".

When blasting, it only takes what it wants, when blast is stopped, sand stops flowing too.

I have more time than $$ so I've started tacking blasting the pieces by myself.

I made a 4x4x6 cabinet with 2x4s and an old torn tarp. staples, and a roll of Duct Tape. The cabinet is big enough to get my pieces in and the tarp enclosure does a decent job of keeping the media from going everywhere and a piece of the tarp helps funnel the media into a 5 gal bucket at the bottom to catch everything after it is used.

A piece of plexiglass for a view window and an old work shirt stapled and duct taped to the opening I made gives me good movement with gloves taped to the ends of the shirt sleeves. I used some expanded metal shelving inside for placing the work on. I use a good respirator even though the work is inside this cabinet. I'm not using sand but the Black Diamond from Tractor Supply and it looks like it is working out fairly well.

My 'contraption' Is very UGLY but large enough to house my parts and I've got about $50 in everything including the gun. I'll eventually have to blast the body but most of it is coming apart to repair so I can just and stick them in the cabinet. Doors, front cowl, wheels, trunk lid, etc.

My 80 gal compressor, a air pressure regulator and small oil/water separator right before the gun and a bigger separator at the compressor keeps the pressure right and the moisture out.

Using the bottle method described by Pooch here is working out well but I used a large funnel instead of a bottle with the same concept. I fill the funnel and it drops the media and is sucked up by the hose. No clogging and a steady stream of media. I am reusing the media after sifting it.

Thank you Pooch for posting the video and the ideas for this.

I won't be posting photos of my blast cabinet. I'd be too ashamed to show it.
thebanjoman is offline   Reply With Quote