View Single Post
Old 03-28-2023, 12:24 PM   #2
JayJay

Default Re: Gloss or Satin Finish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The "A" Team View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm probably going to get to priming and painting my 1930 Model A Coupe soon, but I have a little bit of a dilemma on the finish. In your opinions, should I do a gloss black or a satin black? I always remember the car having a satiny look to it from when my father first bought it back in the 70s all the way up to when he started sanding and priming it 15 - 20 years ago, so I may be looking at it through nostalgic glasses. Which do you think will look better?

Thanks.

John
Original finish was a gloss black enamel on the fenders, and a gloss rubbed-out lacquer in whatever color on the body. Firewall was not rubbed out so it had a sort of satin finish in the body color. I think an intentional satin finish on the body panels would not look good and certainly would not be even close to original. Why repaint it and then mess up the finish intentionally. (I remember the hot-rodders at one point had something called a "suede" finish - flat primer with motor oil rubbed into it to impart a low gloss. Looked ridiculous IMHO).

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)