View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #27
Terry, NJ

Default Re: NOT "A" old houses.

I had an old farmhouse in Jackson Twnsp. Ocean Co. Verified to have been built Circa 1860. The county sent an architectural historian out to date it. The chain of title went back to 1832. It was similar with balloon construction, square nails etc. And Lime mortar! That stuff is pure crap! My home was glazed with "Giullotine" windows. No sash weights and "Bubble" glass. The framing lumber was mill cut, on size, 2X6, 2X8, and 2X4s, local lumber, some of which was oak. The house and foundation did NOT fit each other. The foundation clearly was meant for a earlier structure. The cellar was dirt floor and the original "dug" well was outside, but under a roof and piped to the kitchen sink. The heating was accomplished with individual stoves in each room as it was in another house I owned in Trenton, built in 1870 Hope this helps.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTube View Post
Again I apologize for posting non "A" related things on the forum.

Have had no luck in other forums and I know many many people on the Fordbarn are knowledgeable in things like this.

I own an old house, but don't know how old it is as the towns records kind of stink. To give an idea of its age my house is built on a fieldstone foundation with balloon framing and type B cutnails.

If you know a lot of about older building techniques, styles and so on please send me a private message on Fordbarn or an email at [email protected]
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote