View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #93
Vic Piano

Default Re: Ford Flathead vs small block chevy debate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Rossiter View Post
Often times when I read some people extolling the virtues of a flathead Ford engine versus a small block Chevrolet engine, I get very confused when I see the many pictures of flathead engines on this forum. If these people are so much in favor of the flathead engine, why do I frequently see pictures of these engines with aftermarket heads, intake manifolds, ignition systems, and headers added to their special engines? Is it because deep down inside they really aren’t happy with the way the engine was originally built?
Have you never seen a Chevy 350 with aftermarket valve covers, intake manifolds, headers, etc.? I've even seen some that look like Flathead heads to try and disguise the 350... Most of the things you mentioned are eye candy, not necessarily performance related, and I doubt that you'll find many on this forum that don't like a fully dressed Flathead. I may be going out on a limb but I don't think the majority of us here on the forum are interested in setting land speed records with our Flatheads; most of us enjoy them for the nostalgia