View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 06:24 AM   #91
Vic Piano

Default Re: Ford Flathead vs small block chevy debate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfromvictoria View Post
actually rodders started replacing flatheads with pushrod engines in the 50`s because flatheads were boring,slow and unreliable but not cheaper. let me get this right. its a sin to replace an unreliable flathead with a chevy v-8 in your hot rod but butchering up an old ford to replace an unreliable trans with an S -10 is recommended by the mentors on this site. hmmm rodders have been installing chevys since 1955 but i guess we will never learn.
Unreliable??? I respectfully submit that if you think Ford Flatheads and Transmissions are unreliable, you don’t have much experience with them. We have seven Flathead Ford products including a ’39 Zephyr V-12 and a ’49 Cosmo 337. I’ve put 140,000+ miles on our ’47 59A in the last 14 years. I think that the notion of Flatheads being unreliable has been perpetuated by people that don’t know or understand the care and feeding of Flatheads. I have nothing against 350 GM motors or people that put them Flathead era Fords but I don’t like most of the excuses used to justify the swap. Just my opinion.