View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #81
Henry Floored

Default Re: Ford Flathead vs small block chevy debate!

I think it was Bruce Lancaster that said that Chevrolet had V8 Fords in mind when they designed the sbc. Why else would a 6 cylinder company build such a short v8 engine. I know for sure that Chevy was going after the youth market that was held by Ford at the time. Do you think that GM made a concious decision to package their engine close to the Flathead profile as to become the engine replacement choice and steal Ford's V8 heritage? Guess what.....I do! I think there is evidence to support this theory. That's why I hate any brand x,y, or z into early Ford. My wife even said one time "did'nt Chevrolet make any nice cars in which to put their own engines" Lol! I think that kinda says it all.

The cycle continues with the new gen LS Gm engine. That thing looks like a Ford engine..... all of a sudden it is very chic to have 10 headbolts with 4 evenly spaced around each cylinder. Generous cam diameter and high up in the block to lessen valvetrain weight. The heads are "rolled" over like the latest racing small block Ford heads and the ign and oil pump are UP FRONT! Crossbolt mains and a center thrust bearing oh yeah and the evenly spaced int/ext ports. All very Fordlike and suddenly cool. The hot rod ragazines used to bitch about some of these same characteristics when they were brought out by Ford, now that Chevrolet has embraced them it's the greatest thing. Gee I wonder if there is any bias in automotive journalism. Hell I remember the magazines calling the FE engines heavy boat anchors. Those things won at LeMans, Daytona, Sebring, Darlington and Pomona in open competition. Not some smalltime local event where the rulesmakers have the fix in place to keep the cheap sbc competitive. Harumpphh!
Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote