View Single Post
Old 04-10-2021, 10:51 AM   #19
bobH

Default Re: 1947 Ford - convert to open drive line

[QUOTE=V8COOPMAN;2005586]And interestingly, I went looking for the weight differences to satisfy my own curiosity. The '57-'59 9-inchers (the 'clean' ones....pictured...like in MY coupe) weigh 197 lbs. with a "Trac-Lok". I spent well over an hour looking thru numerous Jeep sites searching for a realistic figure for the D-35's weight, and easily found all of the "un-complementary" details about them when used with any sort of enthusiasm, but alas, NO weights. By looking at the pics below, I don't see how the Dana could weigh much less than a 9"...if ANY....especially considering all the extra, unnecessary bracketry hanging off of that thing. Plus, it looks almost too wide to fit PROPERLY under an old Ford, but what do I know? I guess I learned a little about Dana 35s tonight! DD

Coop.... Pretty convincing pictures and info. Look at all that cr..p hanging on the 35. I'm gonna bet that any weight difference is negligible. Thanks for all your research. And, 197 lbs.... I wrestled mine around a few times before it was finally installed. No wonder I thought it was a little 'heavy'. There were a couple things about that 57-58 Wagon 9-in that attracted me. One was that it was about dead-on for width (early chassis, similar to yours). Two, it came with the large-flange axles that are easily converted to 5 on 5.5. And three, that particular 9-in (57-58) came with the 'large' axle bearings (as compared to many of the other 9-in axles). And, four, it came with 'straight' axle tubes (as compared to other 9-in axles with the 'stepped' tubes). And, five, it came with that 'plain' back cover - (no warts).
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote