View Single Post
Old 04-09-2021, 09:39 PM   #13
bobH

Default Re: 1947 Ford - convert to open drive line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Coop, I have to agree with ok Ron in this. Nobody needs a big beefy rear end with a flathead. Your reasons make sense for a big engine, but the extra weight and the loss of efficiency you cite are overwhelming for a small engine, unless all you need is the bragging rights of having a 9”.
Yes, to all of this quote... I'm not advocating the GC rear, however, I will say that one of my 'daily's' is a GC (with Dana 35), and, I'm at about 175K miles with no problems. I admit to being a pretty conservative driver. And, on the other hand, I off-road the GC considerably, imparting considerable stress on the drivetrain. Repeating... no problems. (At least, not yet)
(And, If I ever do encounter the 'weakness' of the D-35, being a Jeep, the aftermarket Jeep-world offers upgrades that address the so-called weakness. I can't imagine any flathead, even modified, exceeding the potential of a D-35 with 'upgrades'.) Just opinion....

(On the plus side, for the 57-58 Ford 9-in, it has the large axle flanges. These are easily converted to 5 on 5.5 (Been there, done that) The GC D-35 also converts to 5 on 5.5. I've also been there, done that.)
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote