View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
GOSFAST

Default Re: torquing Offenhauser heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Not trying to start a whizzing contest, nor have an axe to grind, just responding to your "not sure where it started" remark. That same form also comes in the Offenhauser labeled and sealed (presumably factory?) box of those studs and nuts. Is this only Speedway's opinion and are they an authorized packager under the Offenhauser brand name? I have no idea, let the reader who's interested do their own research.
Hi Bob, wasn't meant to be a "harsh" response, but sometimes in this business logic dictates with respect to the some of the questions!

I apologize if I came across wrong?

When you build these for a living you simply cannot afford ANY "comeback". It's one thing when an owner does the labor and ends up with some sort of failure, but it's quite another when you take a customer's hard-earned money and problems arise. No matter who's to blame, we are responsible 99.9% of the time. This comes with the territory of being in business.

This is the reason we do our best to try to avoid even a single issue, sometimes it's near impossible, especially today when you have no idea of who is making what anymore, or even where they are making it.

Back in the mid/latter '80's and into the early '90's we were averaging about 8 Flathead builds per year, not all were fully assembled, but we did all the machining. We had one single customer/friend in the area who did nothing but Flatheads. Between us we learned much at that time how to improve some on them!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. You are also correct, the O.P. should make the calls for verification. We try to pass along what we learn from building AND testing all these units! The Flathead's are not like building a SBC or BBC, they warrant more attention to detail.
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote