View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
GOSFAST

Default Re: torquing Offenhauser heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
It's Offenhauser's directions. If interested, click the "instructions PDF" link at the bottom of the description paragraph here: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flathe...-Kit,1785.html
Hi Bob, we aren't in this for a hobby, we do it 100% for a living, CNC, flow bench, dyno, etc.

You may want to give the guys at Offenhauser a call, they DO NOT recommend the procedure explained above here, the same one that Speedway is showing.

That's Fel-Pro, Edelbrock, and even Offenhauser saying it isn't the correct way. Speedway is entitled to their own opinion.

I had the opportunity to meet Ron a while back and he sort of knows now what we're about!

When we do these builds I need to know they will NOT come back for any "follow-up-maintenance" so to speak! I have some of these units out for over 15 years now and not a single issue still! No bolt/stud leaks, no head gasket leaks, no oil leaks, nothing. Having the dyno however is huge "plus".

I would never consider a "Grade 5" fastener on any head bolts/studs, not saying it's wrong, just saying "this is our policy here"! There hasn't been a single issue so far with ARP's components!

This is some of the reasoning that makes us choose components like "coated" cam brgs, bronze-lined guides, dowel-pinned heads/block, oil-filtration system, etc. The unit's life is extended greatly! I've had numerous contacts on the head-pinning deal by some of the builders across the country. We keep doing our best to improve on most situations.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I absolutely do agree with torquing the fasteners in 3 steps, with us that is a "given". I also would be somewhat comfortable with the 45# number on the aluminum heads, depending on the torque wrench accuracy.
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote