View Single Post
Old 04-25-2020, 02:28 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Dropped spindles for clearance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Having installed this diesel engine in my 47 ford tonner (otherwise stock), I find I would like more clearance between the drag link and the oil pan. In 30 trial miles it has not made any contact with the freshly painted pan, but I could see scenarios where it would. I picture a sort of 'U' bend in the drag link but went online about a dropped drag link. Turns out they make drop arms for ford spindles. My tonner uses same as half ton spindles. Couldn't tell from the pics how they bolt to the spindles. Do the two top backing plates bolt into the slingshot ends and I cut off the existing arms? The current stock drag link has about a 20 degree kink downwards on the pass side already. I would probably use the 1 3/4" drops from speedway? Make a new drag link?... But bending tubing? Looks like the stock link is solid rod. Any ideas? I could get a pic soon. Thanks

Tubing can be bent, but you have to employ some different methods to prevent kinking instead of bending. It's likely that you'll have to make a new drag link because when you lower the attach point on the spindle arm, you increase the distance from the Pitman arm. Sumthin' to consider anyway! The dropped spindle arms bolt-on where the LOWER backing plate bolts go thru the spindle flange. You DO have to cut the existing arms off. Here are some typical aftermarket, dropped arms below, plus an installed arm on a spindle for reference. DD

………...

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote