Thread: Towing Model A
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2015, 04:46 PM   #46
Keith True

Default Re: Towing Model A

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I've flat towed Model A's back and forth to Florida from N.H. a number of times.I would take an old fellows car back and forth for him so he could have it down there winters.What I got out of it was an all expense trip and a place to stay while I was there,twice a year.I think I did it four times,starting in 76.He would pack his wheel bearings,check the oils,hang a light bar across the back,and off I'd go.I had a 70 Blazer with a 307 and a 4 speed,used a VW tow bar,and only stopped for gas until I got to where I was going.I never had anything happen.You have to drive a little different,I never took a tight corner,always a wide sweep.The wheels wouldn't warp over and stay there,but on too tight of a corner they would scuff,yank my truck around a little,until I straightend out.At that time the speed limits had all dropped to 55,and I was very comfortable running at 50-55 for hours on end.I never really bought into the bearing running dry thing,look at the level of the oil when filled,and the lower half of the bearing,it looks like the lower part is in the oil.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote