View Single Post
Old 05-16-2022, 03:03 PM   #5
Jim/GA

Default Re: Front Brake Adjusting Shafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce of MN View Post
In the process of putting it back together after replacing the kingpin bushings, I am having trouble with the rear shoe dragging when putting the drum back on. I have Flathead Ted floaters. The rear shoe's adjusting shaft has a loose fit in the housing for the wedge and jams in the bore. The front shoe shaft slides freely. I've cleaned the bore and the shaft and re-greased it and I still have to tap the shoe with a mallet to get it to move into position against the wedge. I backed the adjuster all the way and cleaned and re-greased it. The dragging shoe makes it tough to preload the wheel bearing and if the rotating drum doesn't nudge the shoe back a bit after releasing the brakes while driving, the drag won't be any good, either.

Bushing the bore can't be easy, even for a machine shop. Maybe a backing plate in better condition is the answer; any suggestions?
Yes, you need a new backing plate with less wear in the adjusting wedge housing. Also look for a lip formed by wear on the pin that is attached to the rear brake shoe; that lip can prevent the pin from sliding into the wedge housing.

How long have you been using Ted's floaters on that car?
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote