View Single Post
Old 03-18-2021, 12:19 PM   #62
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Model A Town Car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
thanks Terry.
from this angle it looks like it should.
did not think a clone would be in Harrah's collection.

please, everybody, put your LOCATION in your profiles.....

Chris, in actuality Bill Harrah had many brass-era and orphan cars that were indeed cloned. One example was a very rare Ford Model-K Touring that was converted into an even rarer Roadster during the restoration. Many custom bodies were recreated too on classics and on rare cars. (Think of Jay Leno's garage today) One other example of cloning I remember about is of an early Seldon engine and chassis that was found deserted which had been used as a winch to pull mining cars out of mines. The body and sheetmetal had been removed and it was only a chassis. I remember them saying they replicated the fenders and the body parts in their shops with nothing but pictures to go off of.

During the 60s and 70s, my dad knew several guys that worked in Harrah's shops. In the early 1970s I would listen to those guys tell my dad what they were working in Harrah's shops and how they were doing it. By today's standards, it seems simple to me but back then it was all about hiring artisans and having a thick enough wallet to pay for the talent needed. Back then talent was more prevalent than money to pay for their services on old cars. It seems just the opposite for most restorers today as the available talent to actually restore old cars has seemingly dwindled.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)