View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #15
Alex Dragone

Default Re: Lets see those 180 A Deluxe Phaetons

Brent, my specific knowledge of Model A's is not to the extent of the knowledge that I have about Model T's, but I do know that it is very possibe that Ford could have made a few Deluxe Phaetons with indented firewalls because parts were never wasted. As im sure you know, in terms of model T's, erlier parts were always exhausted in a new model year because why waste good parts? So for a very simple example take the 1915-1916 model years. In very early 1916 Ford cars still retained their brass radiators. Also, 1915 bodies, meaning they had wood seat frames, rivited windshield etc..but still had a 1916 designation. This trend was continued all the way up untill the end of the Model T in 1927. So, if I were to take a very educated guess, in light of Fords trends and to maintane efficiency Ford possibly could have used up any 180 A bodies that were not yet used. I am also sure there were some laying around because I doubt Ford would have ordered the bodies from briggs on a just in time basis (meaning one at a time) he most likely ordered them in larger numbers so there were probably a few laying around at the end of 31. But, FYI look at the picture I posted of the firewall, and as Tim has seen and confirmed, the firewall on my car has not been molested. I personally didnt even clean the firewall,under the car or under the hood for these various reasons...so you can not question the car itself. Anyway I love these debates! Let keep this going and see what kind of research anyone can come up with. Brent can you get ahold of soe of that research you are talking about and possibly post some of the info? Thanks!
Alex Dragone is offline   Reply With Quote