View Single Post
Old 01-18-2021, 12:45 AM   #1
7_Zero

Default Running an internally cracked block on a Gordon Smith compressor?

Upon removing the head on my brothers car we found cracks on cylinders 2 and 3 going between the valves and the cylinder. He has plans to put a lot of miles on this car and decided on rebuilding an engine. The rebuilder said the cost to repair the cracks (if they are repairable) would add quite a bit to the cost so my brother has acquired another block to rebuild. However, the rebuilder said that if we send in the current engine, and it is repairable, or if they can use other parts from the engine, they might give him a credit towards his new engine.

On the other hand, I have always thought it would be cool to make a Gordon Smith compressor and wondered if this engine would work. The babbitt is in good condition with the exception of the rear main which is cracked, but has held up well for the last couple thousand miles. I wondered if the cracks in the block might not be as big of a problem on a compressor as cylinders 2 and 3 would be pushing air and not undergoing the combustion cycle. Is there any validity to my thinking? Would this be a worthwhile undertaking or should we send it off with the hopes that it can be saved?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TempImage1610945381000.jpg (12.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg TempImage1610945349779.jpg (17.7 KB, 52 views)
7_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote