View Single Post
Old 10-29-2020, 12:34 PM   #19
Drbrown

Default Re: Help - 47' Gas Tank Fix or Replacement

The Drake tank fit perfectly. Only removal trouble was the rusted-up spring-loaded bolt on the tank front-flange .... had to saws-all the old tank flange to get tank out.

Re fuel sender unit issue, Drake wants one to use their 12v unit, so i had to remove my existing 12v>6v voltage reducer at dash gauge. I hoped to use OE sender unit which works fine. Drake's outer tank flange bolt pattern matches the OE spacing but make their tank opening for the sender a bit too small for the OE to drop-in. So I adjusted the arm on their sender per the box directions, put it and we'll see how it behaves. Only options: (1) make Drake's tank hole larger = sawing their tank flange opening slightly larger, and that would require removal of new tank .... a PIA. (2) The OE sender has its mechanism on its underside enclosed in a housing, which due to its diameter prevents its installation in the Drake tank. I notice Drake does not enclose their sender mechanism which is also on the underside, so why not remove the OE enclosure so it can fit into the tank opening (???) I am concerned about electrical sparking in any mechanism.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote