View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 01:03 PM   #11
mrlaser

Default Re: 8ba v8 ignition coil questions

As a follow-up on this thread, I had actually begun to experience some missing when cruising at 30-40 mph . This was after the Echiln ic7 coil was in place and new points and condenser had been installed. In my search for an explanation I checked timing, compression, and spark plugs. I also noted that engine running temperatures were a bit high at 208-210. After communicating with Charlie ny , I checked the AC double action fuel pump for air bubbles at elevated RPMs but didn't detect any leakage at the junction of the glass bowl and the pump body. I also spoke with Gary Duff, who mentioned that he uses the epoxy filled Bosch 6 volt coils used in older VW's and found them to be trouble free. They have the proper primary resistance as shown in the attached picture. Since I wasn't having any success with resolving the stumbling, I decided to retrace my steps. When I rechecked the timing it was spot on at idle. On an impulse, since I had the vacuum tube which transmits the vacuum from the carb to the distributor off, I tried to blow air through it. It was completely blocked with debris. After cleaning it with carb cleaner and applying compressed air a large amount of corrosion was expelled. Once the tube was reconnected and the engine was restarted, the miss was gone. After several trips at highway speeds, the problem has not returned. After a drive at highway speeds, the engine temperature was rechecked with an infrared thermometer and the reading was 189. I suspect the lack of an advance in the timing contributed to the elevated engine temperature.I realize that this is an unlikely experience that others may have , but it is one more thing to check when faced with this type of problem. I really do want to express my appreciations for the help from all the forum members that I have received on this and other problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210107-081944_2.jpg (23.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210107-081920_2.jpg (9.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 0321201159a_HDR.jpg (77.3 KB, 20 views)
mrlaser is offline   Reply With Quote