View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 09:44 PM   #18
fred93

Default Re: Does tranny move forward during engine removal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I've never taken the gearbox and engine out together so I can't comment on that. I have plenty of times, taken the engine on its own. aligning the gearbox input shaft and the clutch plate can take a bit of back and forth, especially since I work alone but through experience, I have it down to a fine art now. I know what to look for so I will likely keep doing it this way.
As for the gearbox and rear axle moving forward, I'd tie a rope around the rear end and rear bumpers, then wind it up to pull the axle back as far as you need. Tie off the rope when you're happy and all should be good.
My problem is that the engine/trans needs to move forward about 3/16" . Two things are pointing me too that fix.

First is that the front floor mat does not fit properly. If you look at the photo you can see a slight gap in front of the trans shift tower--the rear part of the mat where the trans tower fits through the hole in the mat is slightly pushed up the tower.

The second thing that I noticed was the front motor mount springs are not completely perpendicular to the cross member. See photo.

So my question is: Can the engine/trans be moved forward 3/16".

At this point (which is a bit too late) I think that the car may have been hit at some point in the front right corner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mat labeled.jpg (61.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg springs.jpg (74.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg .842 inch.jpg (73.0 KB, 37 views)