View Single Post
Old 10-20-2020, 10:53 PM   #26
bbrocksr

Default Re: Fordomatic late shifting ('57 thunderbird)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yblock57 View Post
Thanks for the responses!

I did a little checking on the throttle linkage. Dad said he set the linkage and accelerator pedal height per the shop manual with the 1/4" drill bit to lock the pieces in place and get everything set. I have not double-checked his work, but it looks correct. What seems to be an issue here is the kick-down rod only has approximately 1" of travel. This stops everything at about 1/2 open throttle. I can't believe this was not noticed until now. I've included a link below to a video I made to help explain what I'm looking at.

https://youtu.be/_61b9NP3g2Y

Would this indicate a stuck throttle valve as Dominic Hide suggests? I feel a positive stop when depressing the rod and it springs back up to the top again. Possibly a bent bracket on the throttle body that bbrocksr mentioned? 1" of travel doesn't seem to be enough to operate.

I feel like this is getting close.
With the pan off work the lever by hand and watch the valve movement.
Spring pressure will hold the valve against the lever and the lever against the L shaped stop. The L shaped stop bracket is the bracket I referred to .
I have seen them get bent toward the valve holding the lever and the valve in slightly increasing the pressure
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote