View Single Post
Old 04-14-2020, 08:33 PM   #17
tubman

Default Re: Question on speed and safety....

I've told this story before, but it may bear repeating. Someone said earlier in this thread that it's usually not the car that's the limiting factor, but traffic and other drivers. Last summer, I took my '51 with a modified Merc engine, 3.55 gears, 2.25/75-15 radials on the rear, and no O/D to my 59th class reunion. It was in a suburb of Minneapolis, about 180 miles one way. The first 60 miles or so were great; newly paved four lane highway and minimal traffic. I found myself "keeping up with traffic", going 70-75, no problem.

Once I got to Interstate 94, everything changed; heavy traffic and the general flow of traffic was 75 and above. Between this and "gawkers" trying to get a good look at "the old car", even in those conditions, it quickly turned into a real "white-knuckle" affair. I made it to my destination OK, but I had two close calls, one with a member of the aforementioned "changing lanes at the last minute to make a turn" crowd (the other involved a semi doing about 85).

On the way back, I did some planning and left after rush hour and stuck to state roads, and everything was fine, traffic-wise. There was a problem with the car, though. I was about an hour from home when it got dark. I turned on the headlights and it was OK as long as I had them on high beams. Low beams were totally useless. It seemed that I had installed a set of Aerostar springs and 185/75-15 tires and forgot to re-aim the head lights. About 1/2 hour from home, first one high beam burnt out, and quickly followed by the other. I did have low beams and was able to make it home, It wasn't too bad most of the time, as I could pick up the "fog-line" at the edge of the road, but when one of those new cars with halogen headlights approached, they almost blinded me until I was past them. It was another "white-knuckle" session for that last half hour.

Bottom line? Make sure your headlights are working properly. This includes proper aiming, especially if you have done any front suspension work.

Last edited by tubman; 04-14-2020 at 08:40 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote