View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 11:05 PM   #1
RB_Nielsen

Default Transmission locked up - FIXED!

I dropped off our '31 coupe at an auto-body shop located a 90 min drive away to get the fenders, etc. repainted. Just as they were putting the repainted items back on the car, they discovered that the transmission had locked up.

After walking them through the simple process of taking off the tranny cover in order to re-align the gears, they were stopped cold unable to separate the cover from the case. So next thought I suggested was to jack up one rear wheel, then press down the clutch in order to relieve any built up strain, which they tried, also to no avail. The cover remains stuck on the case. My last question to them was to ask whether the cover moved at all - thinking the problem might be one of permatex holding the two parts together. They reported that the cover moves about 1/4 inch back/forth when trying get it off.

I'm starting to run out of ideas primarily because of the simplicity of the tranny's construction, and trying to figure out what in blazes could possibly prevent the cover from straightway coming off.

I'm keenly looking for some higher, more knowledgeable help/suggestions. Thanks in advance for sending ANY enlightenment my way

RB

Last edited by RB_Nielsen; 05-26-2018 at 06:12 AM. Reason: to note this problem was fixed
RB_Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote