View Single Post
Old 03-30-2018, 01:34 PM   #7
willowbilly3

Default Re: 56 Ford F100 New Project - Engine Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
You may have already found this website / link... but if you haven't here it is.
http://www.ford-y-block.com/technical.htm

An ECG block is/was a 272, plus whatever it was bored to.
With ECL-A heads the published compression ratio is 7.6:1, with 162 hp.
But...

*Compression ratios listed are from Ford literature and are theoretic figures that exclude deck volume and head gasket displacement. Most published compression ratios are approximately 9% higher than actual.
When engines are rebuilt with composition head gaskets deduct about 12% for actual compression.
Do to the thinness of the deck surface of ... Y-Block heads ..... it is recommended that unposted heads not be milled more than .025". *

I'm not seeing anything inspiring in that paragraph.

An ECZ-B intake manifold is considered the oem 'one to have'.
The ECZ-G heads are also, but how much could they actually wake up a 272, and at what cost? They're quite pricey if you can find them and rebuilding them with hardened valve seats will take another big chunk out of your wallet.

Lacking an unlimited parts budget... since you want "something that performs well",
is an apparently stock 272 the right engine to build from, if you want to have "some get up and go when you put your foot into it" ???

Would you consider a swap to a nearly stock newer larger engine? (302-351)
Personally I think those heads are over rated or at least over priced. The earlier ones are not posted. I'm looking for the 58-early 59, 113 heads. Same big valves, a little less compression and all are posted. Later 59s still have the big valves but a little less compression. 60 and later all have small valves and low compression. Here is a good link to heads if it hasn't already been posted.

http://yblockguy.com/head_casting_numbers.htm
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote