View Single Post
Old 11-23-2016, 09:00 PM   #58
GOSFAST

Default Re: Motor build cost.

Hi guys, the point I was trying to make about the cost is this, it's about the same price to do a decent Flathead as it is to do a decent SBC.

Of course you will never hit the same HP numbers but that's not what this is about here.

If you stop and figure for a second, sort of put things in perspective, I'll give you a couple examples: a decent stroker kit for a Flathead is about 1800.00, same for decent SBC, alum heads about 650.00/pr for either, new cam & lifter pkge about 500.00/600.00 for the Flathead, same for the Chevy (but this would get you a retro-hyd-roller). The entire valve train pkge maybe about 500.00 or so for either also, on the Flathead you'd get some new guides. Machining prices here are identical for either, dynoing prices identical, so in the end the actual billing becomes very close.

With all the "right" pieces in a Flathead today I can foresee one going past 100,000 miles and even more with an overdrive behind it! By "right" pieces I mean forged pistons, L/W metric-moly ring packs, bronze guides, stainless valves, etc. Using much of today's technology has allowed this to come around on these older castings. Absolutely no reason today they won't go the distance!

A "bone-stock" rebuild where many core pieces would be retained would also reflect a much build lower price, for instance, reuse the crank/rods, use some new cast pistons, new cast rings, same heads, etc. and the price stays reasonable. This is what I meant by an "apples-to-apples" comparison.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. The only difference here in doing a Flathead is we offer many more options than is needed on a Chevy. I've mentioned a few earlier, like pinning the heads, modifying the oil system, and now very shortly we'll have the adjustable spring-seat cups ready to go. Not every one of these is a "must-have" for all, but we do offer them.
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote