View Single Post
Old 01-23-2016, 08:37 PM   #17
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Model B Carb. on a Model A - pros & cons ?

Henry, I wish I had detailed results of my own! That not being the case, I recalled someone posting Vince Falter's (I think it was) testing that produced the numbers. There is every reason for the B carb. to be superior to the A carb.
1) as you said before, The 1/8" larger dia. throat that allows approximately 25% more air more into the engine. This has to be worth something.
2) The last evolution (B-3 ?) that has the rectangular float, mounted 90deg. to the longitudinal axis of the car certainly corrects the problem of of stalling at stops.
3) The acceleration jet. I believe the addition allows for leaner running.
If someone knows about these tests and results, I would appreciate if they could post the link. I think it was Vince Falter, maybe I'm wrong.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Per Mr. Terry's post #9, in calling Mr. Ron Kelley and Mr. Charles Yapp years ago, according Mr. Kelley's very detailed experiments in documenting engine performance dynamometer tests, they agreed if one wants a single, very inexpensive increase in HP, just remove the rough cast iron insides and sharp corners of the intake and exhaust ports, which will allow more and faster velocity flow of the "already" atomized fuel.

In my opinion, further mixture and slowing fuel velocity with rough friction surfaces inside engine ports is not required ....... e.g., a Model A/B carburetor works like our old Flit Gun ..... once the Flit liquid is atomized, one does not need to stir and beat up this mixture with a boat paddle to kill mosquitoes on a distant wall.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote