View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 03:41 PM   #9
Joe K

Default Re: Rear Axle Taper - What It Does

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conaway2 View Post
A somewhat related question.....

The driver’s side rear drum occasionally rubs against the backing plate. I have one 010” axle shim in place, which apparently is not enough, and I can barely tighten the nut enough to get a cotter pin in the axle. I plan to add another shim, but am worried I won’t be able to fit a cotter pin at all...and the axle threads are pretty worn.

I’m sure I’m not the only person to encounter this issue - is there an easy fix ?

Thanks - JIm
Sounding like an issue inside the "pumpkin." Natural tendency is for the spider gears to "push apart" the two axles. Wear in the rear bearings (usually brinelling which usually doesn't affect the bearing geometry until the very end) will result in the axles "receding" from each other and improve clearance between the brake drum and backing plate. That is improve "occasionally" - given slop in the rear end (i.e. spider gears worn or improper preload of the carrier) it is possible the drum may occasionally contact the backing plate?

In a rear rebuild there is "spec" for the looseness around the spider gears. Tom Endy may be able to comment on this further. You may be able to get a sense of this with the drum off (or even on.)

We have commented in another thread on the possibility of "stretch" occurring in the rear hub as it is forced on the taper. A new hub might cure it - or try swapping the one rear hub for the other and see if the issue follows along?

Easy fix? You did that already (Shim.)

Joe K