Thread: Brake fluid
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2019, 10:52 PM   #11
tubman

Default Re: Brake fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkwrench View Post
I found using speedbleeders and getting good ol' DOT4 when on special [not thats its much anyway] and every two years or so take 15 mins and shes good to go, easy cheap..
I have posted about this before, but nobody seems to listen. You can buy an electronic tester that will tell you the moisture content of DOT-3 and DOT-4 brake fluid. If I remember correctly, anything under 3% moisture is OK. I have been doing this for years now, and it takes about 10-15 years for brake fluid to reach the moisture percentage where replacement is even recommended.

This is for cars that are stored under good conditions; kept inside and not exposed to a lot of bad weather (as most of our cars are). Just think about all of the 20 to 30 years old cars out there with their original brake fluid from the factory. Let's face it; if there was a real danger of brake fluid failing prematurely, there would be all kinds of state and federal regulations mandating regular replacement. I know of none. Flushing the system and replacing the fluid every two years is a complete waste of time and money.

Oh yeah, no matter what I said above, I'm still a real fan of "Speed-Bleeders".
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote