View Single Post
Old 06-15-2021, 01:42 PM   #26
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: T5 trany in 55 wagon

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD-Ordie View Post
Great stuff here!! Can't express how much I appreciate your advice! Hopefully others can also learn from the discussion. So thinking, 2" forward and 2" to the left for my application. Still going to wait until trany is installed before I order anything. Leaning towards this guy.......

Hey LD .....I surely do like the looks of that gold shifter and what it does for you, BUT ......there's one thing that it appears NOT to do, and that is that it appears not to have "POSITIVE SHIFT STOPS". One of the faults of stock T5s is that they don't have positive SHIFT Stops in the stock shifters. Without such, the only thing to prevent "overshifting" is the internal structure of the gears themselves. The gears WILL stop moving (being shifted) when their physical limits are reached, BUT....there is nothing preventing the shift FORKS inside the transmission to continue TRYING to push the gear beyond it's preferred, shifted limit. By doing so, the shift forks can become bent, or even broken. This scenario also puts un-necessary wear on the soft shift fork pads causing premature wear on them.

If you're going to spend good money on an aftermarket shifter, I would certainly opt for one with positive stops incorporated. That B&M "Ripper" shifter that the guy with the '56 uses (as well as others) incorporates positive shift stops. You set the 'STOPS' initially when you install the shifter, and you can 'BANG'-away to your heart's content from then on. I would consider a shifter with the stops built-in. And like one of the other suggestions contained in the B&M info link (BELOW) is to replace the used output shaft bushing & seal in preparation for the new surface on the new driveshaft yoke. I would read the info in that entire link....some good stuff there! Picture below shows B&M's positive stops. DD

https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/02/t5/

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote