View Single Post
Old 04-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #18
Joe K

Default Re: Distributor Seized

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsarge390 View Post
So I tore into everything and removed the oil pan to be sure I got all of the broken pieces. I turned the engine over by hand and inspected the cam gears. They look ok, so I definitely got lucky. I pulled the front and side timing cover to look at the famous-to-fail cam gear. I looks to have been replaced once, due to the lock nut has chisel marks on it. I ordered a new aluminum cam gear to replace the fiber one since I have everything apart anyway.
Anybody recommend any other major preventative action besides completely rebuilding the whole motor? lol
My experience with a seized distributor is the cam gear "walks" the distributor/oil pump gear "up" compressing the retention spring, lifting the distributor, and possibly shearing the collar retention pins. The spring loaded keeper CAN be a god-send to saving a cam shaft.

I have about eight distributor castings upstairs in the drawer. Three of these have a "score mark" across the mount like they have been "lifted" - so perhaps the failure is more common than we think?

Well, given the old style "non oiled" upper distributor bearing, it seems plausible.

Joe K