Thread: Backfiring
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2022, 01:32 PM   #9
ModelAMitch

Default Re: Backfiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCNC View Post
99.9% of the time

Backfire out of the carburetor, ... Your timing is off.
Backfire out of the tail pipe, ... Your fuel mixture is to lean.

The other .9% is your wire periodically shorting out inside the armored ignition cable.

Regards
Bill

Interesting, thanks Ill look into this. Ill play with the GAV next time Im driving. Also, my ignition cable was electrical taped into the distributor from the previous owner. Sounds like this could be a problem aswell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
In addition to what the guys have suggested so far, check the exhaust manifold-to-muffler clamp orientation, specifically the gap between the two clamp halves. If the manifold and muffler pipe are not 100% sealed at this juncture, exhaust can blow past and be sucked into the carburetor's throat. That will cause popping and backfiring, especially during deceleration. Loosen the clamp nuts and rotate the clamp so that the gap between halves is not directly facing the carb's throat. This is an overlooked cause of popping/backfiring that is hard to diagnose unless there are big, black ugly splotches of exhaust soot near this juncture. This is not always the case with leakage in this area.
Marshall
I have a bit of a leak at the exhaust clamp at the bottom of the header, I removed it and muffler cemented the Sh** out of it, but still has a slight leak. I didnt think about the exhaust gases getting sucked back into the carb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
Your inline fuel filter could very well be the cause of your problem. If you have had your tank cleaned and have installed a pencil filter in the top of your fuel shut off valve then you should be good.

Model A's are not necessarily fond of the inline fuel filters.
The reason for the inline filter, I cleaned the rust in the tank out myself and did the best I could but theres still small bits I can see if I look into the filler neck with a flashlight, but its much much better then before. I did put the pencil filter on the fuel valve. But the filter eventually gets dirty with rusty coloured sediment in it. No chunks of course, but theres sometimes a little bit of what looks like sand that settles in the bottom of the filter. So Im hesitant to remove the inline filter just yet.
ModelAMitch is offline   Reply With Quote