View Single Post
Old 09-25-2021, 03:54 PM   #16
Hitman

Default Re: Arizona Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohn View Post
OK, I will do a little qualifying of my question, In Arizona you see all kinds of cars with "Historical Vehicle" plates running around on the road. Much newer than a Model A. The main thing about these cars is that they don't have to be emission cheeked. In Maricopa county cars have to be emission-ed checked every year but not H V licensed cars. I am giving my Grandson one of my many Ford pickups that qualifies as a H V but am unable to find any one to insure it as a H V . Haggarty wont because it is going to be a daily driver so that is the purpose of the post. The A's with H V plates are probable not driven daily and are garaged and are insured for full replacement value which is not the case of the truck I am trying to insure. Thanks for your patience as this is a little off topic and was just wondering if ( as is the case of a lot of us ) anyone had newer cars with H V plates. Gary PS. The truck is a 1984 F250 fyi
Finally, some useful context. What you are describing won't work, which is why AZ set it up this way. Cars that are emissions exempt in AZ have to be 66' or earlier, or have "historical", "antique", "collector car", or whatever you want to call it, insurance in order to be exempt from emissions if 67' and later. As we know, antique car insurance won't allow you to daily drive your vehicle. Antique car insurance is cheaper for a reason, because it doesn't see the daily use and daily risk. While your car qualifies for the copper historical vehicle plate (25 years or older), it doesn't qualify for antique insurance because you want to daily drive it.

So your option is to put whatever plate you want on it, and insure it thought a regular insurance company as a daily driver and have it emissions checked every year or two. I'd image if you drive to subvert the rules, your insurance company will ask for insurance or registration proof of modern cars that can be daily driven.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote