View Single Post
Old 06-17-2021, 12:50 PM   #18
psimet

Default Re: What books on the A for a newbie?

If it makes you feel any better I have probably 40 or so books about the model A. I’ve been collecting and reading them for about 25 years.

That said I still consider myself brand new and while they all have gems inside them they all skip so many specifics and details that they all seem to take for granted as an experience base that just isn’t there.

This from a 46 yr old mechanical engineer who has worked as a machinist, worked in heavy industrial metal fabrication, and own my own manufacturing companies and turn a wrench as a profession. These all assume you have a 70-something yr old knowledge base leaning over your shoulder filling in the blanks they didn’t bother to cover.

Out of the piles of books I have I like Les Andrew’s red book of course. I like the judging standards as they’re the only place you can actually find out what was supposed to be on your car (when you ask someone who knows they always just say to get the judging standards anyway).

There’s a great little paper pamphlet about the distributor I got through someone that’s worth it.

A lot of the other stuff really is just generalities that cover all the different variants there are and don’t really cover a lot of the specifics newer people are interested in. Great to flip through while on the couch at night but not really handy to have when tackling a problem. Or idea.

Just my opinion
psimet is offline   Reply With Quote