View Single Post
Old 11-28-2016, 04:53 PM   #9
Terry, NJ

Default Re: License Topper............

I didn't want to do politics. (Verboten)so I didn't express my preferences, But I recall my Brother in law (Born in 1917) telling me how it was actually Hoover who started many of the programs St. Franklin later took advantage of. He , FDR. campaigned against them saying "we don't need this alphabet soup of federal programs" You won't read it in the history books and only the most diligent searches will turn it up, but it did happen. But the best one was the great depression of 1920! You never heard of it? Yeah that's not surprising. Anyway, The big bankers came to Harding and told him that there was a depression on and he'd have to do something (Spend other people's money) He told them he wasn't going to do anything and that they got themselves into this mess and they could get themselves out of it. None months later it was a memory, at least to those who remembered it. See it's history, not politics!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
Not being a Roosevelt (as in Franklin) fan, the license plate "Topper" on my '28 Phaeton says, "Who But Hoover !" And the 'Topper' on my late '31 Dlx Coupe says "Win with Willkie". For those of you who did not vote in the 1940 election (and for those who DID vote in the 1940 election - but just don't remember ANYTHING that far back), Wendell Willkie was the Republican Presidential candidate who ran against FDR in the 1940 election.

And then there was the famous "Start Packing Elinor" topper and stickers. (Again, for those who did not vote in the 1940 election - Elinor was Franklin Roosevelt's wife).

And then there was the (pre-mature) newspaper headline that shouted "Willkie Wins". Those days were very much like today's turbulent election results.

** If you have an interest in some of these early license plate 'Toppers', there are quite a few being reproduced. Just assume that anything you find IS a reproduction and NOT an original. Some say they are original, or imply so - and in fact are not original. Caveat emptor.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote