View Single Post
Old 09-30-2020, 12:59 PM   #19
fred93

Default Re: Ignition timing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
I had one that was so full of crud you could not feel it. had to pull the cover.
If you do be sure to drill the dimple out a little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Northport View Post
If you use a timing light. you will need a degree indicator that mounts to the front of the engine and sits over the crank pulley. NuRex sells them. The timing can be adjusted in small increments if you have it set manually to a close degree. Full retard should be about -5 degrees. Full advance should be about 22-24 degrees. NEVER 40 degrees as someone suggested. You would burn the engine up and melt the exhaust. My shop times every car to those specs and they all run and start great.
Thanks for your reply--- I finally got back to the timing read out--

With the NuRex degree indicator--

1--With the timing light hooked up (and without making any adjustments) the timing with the lever all the way up, the reading was approximately 25* to 30* retarded.

With the lever all the way down, the reading was 5* retarded.

2--I adjusted the points (to .018") and replaced the rotor (it just did not fit snug against the distributor shaft) I also adjusted the rotor to cap gap to .025" .

I then adjusted the timing (making it more advanced).

The reading after all that was :

With lever all the way up---5* retarded.

With the lever all the way down--45* advanced.

With the lever half way down---30* advanced.

Seems to me that I need to adjust again so that with the lever all the way down I would have 30* advanced.

Thoughts on this please!