View Single Post
Old 08-31-2021, 10:22 AM   #1
Vic in E-TN

Default Brake Shoe Lining Information

I have been reading a post recently started by Werner in Germany concerning his brake fade. I have some thoughts and a little information to consider.
Brake linings can be bonded or riveted. Randy Gross prefers bonded and so do I. I have sent shoes out to be relined with the composite material (not woven) for many years. There was a brake and clutch shop in Illinois, where I lived at the time, that was able to provide this service. That was 20 years ago. One of the first things that they asked me what what lining did I want, what hardness, what coefficient of friction? I thought that they were all the same. They had whatever I wanted. I chose the softest at first and they were OK. After a little experimentation and the first set of Plasmeter drums I was able to move to a better solution.

The following is taken from Wikipedia. Brake linings are characterized by their "Coefficient of Friction". The higher the number the more the friction. This is stated from C through Z.

C is less than 0.15
D is 0.15 to 0.25
E is 0.25 to 0.35
F is 0.35 to 0.45
G is 0.45 to 0.55
H is greater than 0.55
Z is unclassified

They are rated for example "GD" which is G-cold/normal and D is when hot.
Brake lining material is marked on the back with it's alphabetical designation. Once the lining is bonded you cannot see the information. They use a different system in Germany but it has a similar function. I cannot read German.

Hopefully Werner can read this and we can try to analyze his problems using this information. Comments are appreciated.

Randy Gross if you read this - what brake shoe lining designations do you provide?

Vic
Vic in E-TN is offline   Reply With Quote