Thread: 1931 wide bed
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2021, 01:30 PM   #16
WTSHNN

Default Re: 1931 wide bed

Sunny,

As a fellow Budd Cab Steel Top owner I know they are cool trucks and are certainly conversation pieces. Years ago I had one "official" tell me that there was never a steel top Model A and mine must be a conversion done in the 70's. Even when shown evidence that he was wrong he was adamant he was right.

Like others have said, there are no detailed production records that survive today that could break something down to that level of detail. I assure you that people have dug for it, as such there is no way to know how many trucks (or really any Model A) were painted any color originally.

The steel top was introduced in August of '31 and went into production in September. A total of 31,461 pickup trucks were made in 1931 and though we can't break that down to how many were produced in the steel top, if you figure 2,621 were made each month that means at least 10,487 were made in Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec.

Regardless of how many there are you still have a truck that isn't all that common and you should be proud to drive and show it.

-Tim

“None of our men are 'experts.' We have most unfortunately found it necessary to get rid of a man as soon as he thinks himself an expert because no one ever considers himself expert if he really knows his job."
-Henry Ford