View Single Post
Old 03-29-2021, 03:59 AM   #6
john charlton

Default Re: Distributor dilemma

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Just had the same thing happen to me . I lent out my underseat spare distributer to a friend checking out a rebuilt engine on a stand . I knew he would have it for a while so I built another one for a spare . Found a good core with good "slotted" original bushes . Installed new points and condenser . Rigged up a test bench and flashed the points with a screwdriver and a hefty spark was achieved .Job done I thought. I installed it in my 30 CCPU (with steel top Budd cab ) and no go would not start HHMMM I thought what goes on here ??? Flashed the points with a screwdriver and a hefty blue spark from the HT lead . Changed the points and condenser 3 times but still no go . Forensic investigation revealed the moving arm and the points contact button were open circuit . All three setups were the same . I had bought them years ago in sealed packages at some long ago swap meet no makers name . In one of the sets the movable point was also open circuit which had caused even more confusion . The point was two piece (I think ) with a gold coloured tip . A little lesson learnt after all these years in the hobby !!!

John in out of lockdown today Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote