Thread: Brake drums
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 02:35 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Brake drums

[QUOTE=jrvariel48;1989171]I installed the MT Products front brake assembly including the cast drums. It's excellent and installs very easily. Speedway makes a nice aluminum Buick style drum. I asked MT if they fit their set up, but they didn't know. Is anyone running these? Maybe Gary (Krylon32) will jump in.

Joe....As I'm sure you must be aware by now, the "MT" stuff is not only nice...it's "Top Shelf"! Curious as to why you'd consider the Speedway Buick drums over the "MT" Buick drums. The MT Buicks are obviously engineered to work with the rest of the MT stuff that you already have.

Here's a little bit of info I have garnered in the past. This info came from a survey that a Speedway customer wrote 'somewhere' that I can't remember now, which I came-across in the past three months. A Speedway technician admitted to the customer that their "Lincoln" brake backing plates and hardware was in fact "MT" sourced. The technician also added that their "Lincoln-style" drums were sourced "elsewhere", which I concluded to mean possibly the far side of the Pacific Ocean. I have read first-hand of quite a few people experiencing 'out-of-balance' and 'out-of-round' problems with the Speedway Lincoln-type drums. The price difference might prove the old adage...."Ya get what ya pay for!" Just looking at the two different Lincoln-type drums side by side, there is no comparison.

Along the same lines, the Speedway Buick drums just don't look anything like the quality of MT's Buick drums. From Speedway's own pictures, there are obvious casting flaws (pics below). You couldn't pay me to use those 'cheap', 'Speedy' Buicks. And I would have to imagine that MT Buicks are engineered to work with the rest of the MT line. Check the Boling Bros. site below on the Buick drums, making sure to read the "FULL DESCRIPTION". I assume that you realize "MT" and "Boling Bros." are essentially synonymous. DD

http://www.bolingbrothers.com/buick-...in-brake-drum/

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 02-25-2021 at 02:47 PM.
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote