View Single Post
Old 04-27-2021, 05:13 PM   #16
Synchro909

Default Re: Stopping Distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Synchro, do the rear actuating arms fit the front brake shaft without any modifications? Sounds like a good setup.
No, they are not a direct fit. The shaft on the rear brakes is bigger than the front actuating shaft so I made a sleeve. After removing the original arm, I put the sleeved rear arm on (oriented so the clevis is facing the wheel) and secured it with a rivet I also made. Be prepared to have to grind down the rivet at the back or it will hit the spring perch. The fact that the clevis is now higher than it was means the anti rattle springs have to be modified a little to keep the brake rod straight and that's about it. You will also have to twist the lever to get it lined up with the direction of pull on the front rods. I have a Philips head screw driver with just the right diameter shank to fit the clevis. I mount the lever on the actuating shaft and hold it in the vice while I give it a good nudge till the screw driver and shaft are parallel.

Last edited by Synchro909; 05-02-2021 at 01:15 AM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote