View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 11:33 AM   #8
Ed in Maine

Default Re: Paint recommendations

This is a topic that you can spend months studying. I was getting ready to paint my 31 slant windshield cabriolet in Kewanni Green and Elpointe green. I tried to get a close match to what I thought was correct and received many pictures from fellow barners. Everyone's car was different but very nice to look at. I came to the conclusion that no one knows exactly what the original colors where like due to aging. My local PPG dealer was useless and very expensive! Take a close look at TCP paints. I chose the new paint system, acrylic urethane. The paint is fantastic, I can't say enought about how tough and shiny this paint is. It seemed easier to use and it was difficult to make it run!!
TCP has a wide, wide range of paint colors available. I felt the cost of a quart of this paint was low enough to mix my own! I picked a green, blue, yellow, white and black and practiced various mixes (keeping good notes as to what I combined). Eventually, I mixed four quarts of Kewanni green (the lighter color, lower body) and three quarts of Elkpointe green. My cost was about $700.00. I was quoted by PPG $1500.00 for the same quantity of paint. As for primers, I used epoxy primer/sealer, high build primer and then a single stage top coat, no clear coats. I highly recommend you study the TCP paint web site. Good luck, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote