View Single Post
Old 10-07-2019, 07:57 PM   #12
Cool Hand Lurker

Default Re: 1959 F100 motor mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
The problem is that the original frame was designed for the Y-BLOCK install wheres the front mount was not that strong as actual strength was maintained by the double trans rear mount. Basically the same as the 55/57 BIRD but it used stabilizers on either side of the engine.

There has to be an cross-member involved to tie the frame rails together. The mounts I showed at first will not give that stability as shown in your diagrams.

Your heart is set on a SBF?

I have the 302, it is from a 73 F100, it runs nice.
Ford, Ford, Ford.... $ $ $

I have learned a lot about this truck in the last few days. Now I know why the frame twisted under a torque load.The prior owner had a Ford big block in the truck but sold the engine. The modifications that he made to the frame really weakened it. And when they took out the engine they just cut out the cross member back by the tranny. They had also cut out the motor mounts on the front cross member and weakened that cross member.

I need to put in a couple of strong cross members to replace what is gone. That should solve the torque problem.
The first photo is of the stock frame. The pieces removed are circled. That did not leave much strength in the front half of the frame.
The second photo shows an engine swap cross member kit that might do the job for strengthing the frame and mounting the engine. I hope.

This has been a very good discussion. Thank you everybody.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1957 Ford F100 HACKED frame.jpg (27.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Ford F100 motor mount swap kit.jpg (24.1 KB, 20 views)
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote