View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Restored Air Cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
Charlie, I separated the canister just below top flange. I chucked it up in the lathe, ran it in back gear (SUPER slow) and ground it apart with a cut-off wheel. With how thin the metal is and how off-center it tends to clamp in the chuck you CANNOT use a regular cutter.
I may try to separate a beatup one like that I have with surface rust pitting, but I would probably try making the cut at the bottom of the crimped flange so there would still be a flange on the top and bottom halves. I think this might keep the mating areas on both halves a bit stronger. I am also thinking maybe it could be made into an oil bath and keep the original dry filter element and screen at the to to look original. Just some thoughts. This may wind up being a better method of separation than the previous method of cutting those three legs at the top and soldering them back together after new elements are installed. Just some random thoughts but it took your pictures to get me thinking

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote