View Single Post
Old 09-07-2020, 10:50 AM   #1
shew01

Default First Time Tire Change

Today is my first attempt to change a 1931 tire. I am trying to move a useable tire from a cracked wheel to a recently powder coated wheel without messing up the new finish.

So far, I’m stuck at step 1, removing the old tire, which is the spare tire. I didn’t think about it when I started, but I don’t have a tire tool. I do have a very wide, large screwdriver that I have wrapped with tape in hopes of avoiding wheel scratches.

I removed the valve stem; so, the tube is now flat. I broke the tire away from the front and rear sides of the rim. I’ve watched some YouTube videos about Model A tire removal, and they make it look fairly easy. Surprise. ;-) My tire is not easy. The tire is stiff and does not want to give me enough room to get the lip of the sidewall over the edge of the rim. I’m trying to be careful not to pinch the tube in the process.

I’ve never changed a tire before. Should I stop until I can order a tire tool? Does the tire tool below make enough difference to make it worthwhile to wait for shipping? Or, is there an alternative that I am somehow missing.

https://www.brattons.com/spoon-end-29-31-tire-iron.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote