View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
Jeff M

Default Re: Front axle install

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Wow, thanks for the tips everyone it's greatly appreciated. It's been a pretty frustrating ordeal, I'm just ready to be done with this cross member.

I'm pretty sure my current spring is original (2" thick, tapered edges). It did have an aftermarket spring in it when I first pulled it with the square leaves and it sat up way too high. Also the previous owner had the wrong wishbone mount, he was using the stock ball in the rubber ball wishbone mount. I noticed when I first looked under the cracked cross member, the bolt seemed to shift and pound an indention right next to the tie bolt hole, it was a mess.

So after my repairs, I installed the original spring, however I did not bevel the top leaf as it seemed to be fine. It had no sharp edges or anything. Maybe I should do it anyways. I also made sure to install the correct wishbone mount, original style, from Snyders. The whole front end is completed assembled minus the drums and wheels.

I still think it's catching on the bottom edge of the cross member, I don't know. I did grease the top and sides of the spring also.
Jeff M is offline   Reply With Quote