View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #37
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Gas tank cleaning

To comment on some of the above dialogue, IMHO there are plenty of Model A tanks to go around for each Model A being restored including those to be done in the future however most of them either need to be, --or will need to be "de-rusted" on the inside. I would imagine that the price of a new Model A reproduction gas tank would be very close to $1,000.00 each by the time all the stamping dies were made for all the pieces, new brackets cast, and all of the assembly and coating were completed. Based on what I know about this hobby/industry, the likelihood of folks standing impatiently in line to purchase one of them would probably not be too great!

The current way we are opening them up and cleaning them is a very satisfactory way IMHO however the only thing that keeps me from offering a lifetime warranty on our tank restorations is finding a suitable coating process that will stand-up to that kind of warranty. No one in that coating industry wants to step-up and commit to withstanding a fuel that might be used a decade or two down the road.

/

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote