View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 08:16 AM   #13
Keith True

Default Re: Gas tank cleaning

I have done A tanks on the loader wheel.You have to strap them on with the instrument panel facing the wheel,any other way and you will not get the underside of the tank top clean.I throw in maybe a quart of black beauty,(coal slag) and let it spin.I just start the loader and let it spin for a few hours at a time.The worst tank I did is now in my truck.I probably spun that one for 20 hours,maybe more.I knew I would never get it all,but I did get it to a no-problem level.The sand will get around the baffles,you will find out when you try to get it out.I wash the tank after,then dry it by leaving it in the sun and rolling it around for a couple of days.In the winter I just set it in front of the waste oil furnace.Then I blow the powder out with a 3 foot line on a blow gun.The real bad one in my truck I did in 94 or 95,and as of two years ago had accumulated about 1/2 inch of sediment in the bowl.When in use the truck never sits long enough to start to rust,and in the winter I have always dumped ATF in the tank and driven before parking.In reality,if you have the capabilities,cutting the top of the tank off like Brent does would be faster.It can get pretty agonizing blowing that sand out after.A local radiator shop used to gut two holes in the backs of the 30-31 tanks and weld them back in after,but he closed up in the 80's.I am still leery of sealers,I have been burned by them.You may use the newest,high quality impervious to everything now,but what will be in the gas in the future?As I found out from the sealer maker a couple of years ago,the stuff attacking the sealer was not even invented when they produced the product they put in tanks I had done.All the ones I had done in the early 90's have failed in farm tractors and a couple of cars.The alcohol wasn't doing it,we've had that for a while now.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote